martes, 17 de junio de 2014

National Sculpture Museum, Valladolid, Spain. And after a the dance, what?


A few weeks ago, by chance, on twitter I stumbled upon the video of National Museum Sculpture. I don't remember what I read, or what I was looking for, but what I'm sure of is that I was not at that time looking for anything about this museum. Things... the video made me laugh. It was magnificent that the museum team had such a sense of humor and absence of ridiculousness. I saw it, I laughed and forgot about it. Until yesterday reading  @Canalpatrimonio I saw the news: these guys were in the final of a competition organized through the blog When you work at a museum.  #MuseumDanceoff.

Today they are winners, and as Ana Gil of the Department of Communication told me, they have had the best advertising campaign at no cost. It was the only Spanish museum that participated. I supported them for a few hours what little I could, but all I could, through the social networks. Why did I do it?


  1.  Because I consider it a museum, like many others, not known to the extent that it deserves and this could help them in their dissemination
  2. Though this dance can be seen as a silly thing to do, anyone who has had to make a video knows what it required in time, not only in assembling and editing, but in all previous work. Here everyone   was involved, from telephone operators and staff room personnel documentation, conservation, education ... ordinances ... communication ... It is a museum that knows how to work together and that's important. If they have managed to do this, they devote hours to gather what it takes to move forward with their work
  3. A reason without any weight, merely sentimental, but mine. I'm Castillian and I like to see  museum of Valladolid in these things. More when they think that we Castillians are too serious (well, vivacious dancers…well I’m not going to defend that the dance has vivacity) Despite all this, I also have a question: and after the dance what ...?

Let me explain. I did not hesitate a moment about the prudence of the National Sculpture Museum to take this step. Ana Gil explained to me this morning. "We learned that the American blog When You Work at a Museum had organized this contest to have museum professionals dance. Although we liked the idea, we did not make a decision until we saw that the ICCROM (UNESCO agency for the Conservation and Restoration Heritage) encouraged museums to participate. " Then came what I have outlined above; great publicity at zero cost. Now you need to know; Does this result in a greater  influx of people and therefore more gate receipts?

Will the museum collection be better known? In addition to the cloister and the grand entrance, I saw altarpieces, choir stalls (I guess carved) ... replica sculptures of classical antiquity ... I visited this museum several times  and I still feel the need to return. It is impossible to assimilate all that it offers. My question, which time will answer, is whether this type of action, which on the one hand are very media,  have a real impact on the knowledge and understanding of the collections. Christian iconography (in this museum there is “kilos" or tons, as you like ....) is largely unknown today. There are enough anecdotes for various posts about the questions people have asked me on the trips. Questions full of sincerity, curiosity, bewilderment ... I remember in the "LAS EDADES DEL HOMBRE"  a girl say to me, "And this, why hadn’t they told me about it before ..?”http://credo.lasedades.es/

Chechu Garate @chechugarate who works at the Cathedral of Burgos, left  amusing anecdotes, and  from here I encourage you to repeat and tell us something new. They are very illustrative of the issue I address here. 

I publish this post without  an "Ad hoc" picture of the protagonists of this story. At the time that I asked, they were already not in the museum. I’ll see if during the day I can update this post and include it.
As always, you already know that you can write to patrimoniojovenes@gmail.com, follow us on facebook, on twitter @pilarmce and see our Pinterest boards "Patrimonio jóvenes". to

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario